The International Division of Shanghai Foreign Language School (SFLS) Affiliated to Shanghai International Studies University is among the first international divisions approved by Shanghai Municipal Education Commission. We introduce and absorb advanced educational ideas from abroad, integrate existing high-quality educational resources of SFLS, and insist on our distinctive way of incorporating “national spirit and international perspective” in curricula design.
Tongbu Class of International Division adheres to the idea of “paralleled objective, paralleled teaching and learning, paralleled management, and paralleled outreach activities.” It provides students with the same high-quality education resources as provided for our SFLS local students, and offers the same core courses, teaching materials, faculties, activities and standards as required in Local Division so that students can follow the academic rigor as well as consolidate their knowledge foundation.
Paralleled Features Tailored for Chinese Students from Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan, and abroad
1. Students enjoy the teaching staff of Local Division.
2. Students enjoy the same learning materials, approach, expectation and assessment as are expected in Local Division.
1. Students‘ codes of conduct are consistent with those required in Local Division.
2. Every month parents will receive comprehensive evaluation results and they will know promptly about students’ performance at school.
Paralleled Outreach Activities:
1. Students have the opportunities to participate in major annual events at SFLS, such as International Cultural Festival.
2. Students have the opportunities to enroll in research and extra-curricular courses offered by Local Division.
Paralleled Higher Education:
1. Basic education of seven-year system is consistent with that of Local Division.
2.Upon high school entrance, university guidance will be offered according to students’ different directions of future studies in order to meet their diverse needs.
1. We offer distinctive “+1” courses and honor-student courses. After-school tutoring of core curriculum is also provided to meet students’ special needs.
2. Students, with sound learning capacity, can apply for a second foreign language course in addition to English. Upon graduation, tailored placement counseling will be offered according to students’ different academic plans.
Featured Curricula and Activities of Tongbu Class
Diverse Elite Courses:
1. Students have the chance to participate in highly-developed activities such as SFLS “Model United Nations” and mathematical modeling, and enjoy the company of gifted-student teams.
2. Students have access to special “+1” courses such as “English mathematics” and “English reading and writing”.
Selective Courses related to Chinese and foreign cultures:
1. We offer selective courses on traditional Chinese culture including Guqin, Erhu, traditional Chinese painting, calligraphy and paper cutting.
2. We also offer selective language courses such as French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish.
1. We offer small-size class teaching or individual tutoring catering to individual needs.
2. Students could transfer into classes based on their academic competence.
Honor Student Courses:
1. Students with academic excellence can apply for higher level courses.
2. We aim to prepare students for international stage by equipping them with bilingual capabilities (whose Chinese and another language are both of native or qualified level).
1. We encourage students to found societies under teachers’ instruction, carry out regular activities and join inter-school competitions.
2. Every year, there are large-scale events such as “International Cultural Festival”, “National Spirit” and “Sports Week”, when students can communicate by using foreign languages and show their talents.
3. Focusing on the themes of “savoring the appeal of ancient towns”, “seeking and visiting masters” and “searching for cultural origins”, our field trips bridge classroom learning in language and literature, society and science and other subjects with practical experiences to help students appreciate beautiful China from multiple perspectives.
4. Study abroad programs are offered to students in Grade 9 and Grade 11 respectively.